Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens 

300 pages/24 days = 12.5 pages a day 

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐                   Pages:370/370 

The book expresses the life of a lonely girl growing up in the marshes of North Carolina where her whole family slowly but surely walks out on her leaving her to survive on her own with her alcoholic father. With a lack of parental guidance and support in her life, she remains a timid individual who has no choice but to compress her feelings. In the midst of all this, the murder of Chase Andrews is being investigated.  

Comment

This book is truly one of a kind. I appreciate Owens’ vivid characterization of Kya. I felt like I knew Kya very well and empathized with her. I loved the twist and turns with her love life although it made me feel some sense of guilt. On the other hand, you have an entire murder investigtaion of Kyas previous lover, who used her for the mere amusement of being with the “Marsh girl.” This left Kya broken and completely pessimistic about the idea of love or any form of attachment. The book’s descriptions of the loneliness of Kay were very captivating moments, I could feel her pain and agony being isolated from society not having someone to even smile at. I absolutely loved this book and it’s one of the very few books I connected to. The mini poems that show up in certain chapters emphasizes the emotions going through Kya’s head. Owen is a zoologist herself, so the description of the marsh and its significance during the case really captivated me in the sense that I had no idea what a marsh was in the beginning of this book but her descriptions informed me about the environment and nature of this Marsh that Kya resided in. 

And then there were none by Agatha Christie

79 pages/ 18 days= 4.3 pages/day 

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐          Pages: 79/231

Summary: 

This book is about 8 individuals who get invited to a party on a remote island. Upon arrival, they realize none of them know the host which evokes many suspicious moments upon arrival. One by one, each one of them gets killed while trying to find the murderer with the clues that are left behind every murder. 

Comments 

My love for mystery books has led me to read this novel by Agatha Christie. From what I have read so far, I am really enjoying this book.  suspenseful and I always end up wanting to read more. I am so excited to finish it. 

Reflection: 

I definitely improved from my last reading as I got more pages done in a day. I think the main reason for this was that I had really got a feel of the book and it wasn’t until a few chapters in that I was intrigued into reading more. I am hoping to increase my speed and hopefully work my way towards reading two books per month. Where the crawdads sing was one of the best books I have read. I am not a big reader so it was kind of shocking to see me willingly enjoy this book. I don’t read as much as I used to so it is definitely something I want to get in the habit of doing. In terms of the pages I am reading, I think I am okay as for now but I definitely want to increase that within the next few weeks as I keep reading. ‘And then there none’ has been sitting on my bookshelf for a while which is why I decided to read it. I finished a good portion of it to get a feel for the novel. I am hoping to finish this in the next week or so.